Lead Event Strategist
Our first event—the Forum—was hosted at Harvard in 1992, and it remains our flagship program. Today, however, we host many other events—from faculty training sessions to intimate salon discussions to large city-based dialogues—and we need someone who can both strategize and execute our top-level events. The right candidate will do more than just manage logistics; he or she will be in tune with how events can propel our growth and vision.
We believe this role will place you in a high-energy environment with some of the most talented individuals in the industry, where you’ll be inspired to use your gifts to start conversations that matter all over the world. Although Veritas was founded in 1992, we operate like a scrappy startup trying to solve difficult problems, sprint quickly, and scale globally.
We want you to imagine what you could do here. At Veritas, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary programs quickly. We need an event strategist who loves to think big and strategically but who also loves to be in the trenches. This is a role for someone who wants to help create something big and important for the world and who isn’t phased by the amount of work it’s going to take.
What You’ll Do:
- Innovate event programming. You’ll imagine what new events might further our mission and vision, streamline and simplify our campus events, and design custom, one-of-a-kind experiences for students, faculty, and other thought leaders.
- Deliver remarkable event experiences that meet objectives and exceed expectations. You’ll create event concepts, select venues, set and manage budgets, organize lodging and transportation, co-create (alongside the Content team) event marketing and amplify brand awareness, manage event timelines, coordinate technical aspects, negotiate with vendors, process invoices, manage risk, and evaluate event effectiveness.
- Use data to inform our event strategy. You’ll know and track the right metrics, analyze what works, adjust where necessary, and share your findings.
- Embrace an entrepreneurial mindset. You’ll be a self-motivated self-starter who comes up with new ideas, seeks to solve problems, takes risks, and tests solutions.
- Be a team player. Serve colleagues and their program areas (e.g., Forums, Augustine Collective, Development, Riff, etc.) with a positive, proactive, problem-solving attitude, and complete additional duties as identified and assigned.
- Challenge assumptions. You’ll ask questions to understand a perspective and are comfortable respectfully challenging assumptions. You’re not turned off by constructive conflict to get to the right answer.
- Own your outcomes. You’ll set clear, ambitious goals, anticipate obstacles, persevere, and hold yourself accountable for your commitments.
- Get better every day. You’ll welcome the gift of feedback, never settle in your quest to grow and develop, and make our organization stronger.
What You’ll Bring:
- 3+ years experience in event management or hospitality
- A passion for Christ grounded in the regular disciplines of Bible study, prayer, and fellowship with other believers in the context of a local church, and a mature and growing faith evidenced by the fruit of the Spirit in your life
- Technical event experience, e.g., basic A/V, stage and lighting knowledge
- An orientation toward process with a deep love for organization and details
- A highly organized and dogged approach to project and event management
- Superior interpersonal and communication (oral and written) skills
- Critical and strategic thinking with the ability to evaluate every aspect of an event
- A portfolio that demonstrates an instinct for professional event execution and inventive approaches to event planning, management, and creation
- An ability to adapt well in changing situations and environments
- Familiarity with using data to guide a strategy
- A “just figure things out” attitude that invents ideas to accomplish our objectives
- An ability to multitask and prioritize ruthlessly
- This role reports to the VP of Forums and Content, Bethany Jenkins.
- Preferred candidates are based in one of the following cities: Chicago, IL; Washington, D.C.; New York, NY; or Boston, MA (with a strong preference for Boston).
- Compensation is commensurate with experience.
For a full job description, click here. Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org . Your cover letter should tell us why you’re a great fit for Veritas and why Veritas is a great fit for you.